This put up is a part of a sequence sponsored by IAT Insurance coverage Group.
Cargo theft stays a outstanding menace to the transportation trade. In a high-profile case in 2022, three Florida males stole about $9 million value of beef and pork from refrigerated vans that had left meatpacking crops within the Midwest and Nice Plains over the course of a 12 months.
Within the second half of 2022, experiences of cargo theft and fraud elevated 27% 12 months over 12 months. Parking heaps and truck stops are the most typical places for cargo theft, however safe shipyards are usually not proof against cargo theft.1 Whereas family items and grocery merchandise stay widespread targets, higher-value items similar to autos, electronics, and prescribed drugs are additionally generally focused.
The 4 commonest cargo theft situations are:
- Crimson zones: Areas with ports and main freeway intersections proceed to be hotspots for criminals, together with California, Texas, Georgia, Florida and Illinois.1
- Kidnapping: Criminals are getting bolder, profiting from alternatives to steal cargo and even hijacking gear at truck stops, relaxation areas and gasoline islands when drivers are refueling, utilizing the services and taking a one-hour service break (HOS).
- Insider Jobs: An worker with detailed data of the cargo, origins and locations is aware of when and the place a high-value cargo could also be in danger and has alerted an outsider to those particulars to facilitate a theft.
- Organised crime: Organized legal teams have subtle techniques in place to hold out cargo thefts, as exemplified by the meat and pork robberies talked about above.
7 finest practices to guard your masses
As cargo theft continues to rise and evolve, firms can take defensive measures to mitigate losses, together with the next:
- Use GPS monitoring for aggregates and trailers. Moveable monitoring units can assist find a stolen car or lacking trailer. This isn’t a one-size-fits-all resolution, nevertheless, as there are a selection of the way they are often disabled or the sign blocked
- Implement cargo monitoring. Particular cargo monitoring units may be connected to the cargo contents, offering the power to trace stolen merchandise wherever. For instance, these can be utilized for shipments of high-end clothes or pharmaceutical gadgets, that are extra dependable than their GPS cousins as a result of they use mobile phone expertise. They’re additionally costlier. Prices may be minimized by including trackers to a choose variety of merchandise (not all), as criminals usually steal in batches. Use so many trackers in merchandise that not less than one tracker is more likely to be in a batch of stolen merchandise.
- Put skilled drivers in your greater worth masses. Use trusted drivers, ones who’ve transported quite a lot of masses together with high-value masses, and ones who perceive the procedures put in place to maintain their cargo, gear and most significantly themselves, from hurt. Earlier than loading, work with the motive force and remind them of the extra procedures to be adopted with any such load.
- Plan your routes. Remind drivers to keep away from pink zones and excessive crime areas, particularly when stopping or parking. Riders ought to have not less than 200 miles of gasoline and sufficient engine hours to cowl that distance earlier than choosing up a cost. This can assist cut back stops and thieves may be dissatisfied by the cargo because it passes by its goal zone.
- Prepare your drivers. Be sure that drivers know that vans and trailers needs to be locked and sealed and that they need to find protected, well-lit parking spots earlier than exiting the car. Further measures embrace positioning the trailer in opposition to a construction to forestall the doorways from being opened. Be careful for autos following the truck, and likewise don’t talk about the load with others – on the telephone or CB radio.
- Apply good hiring practices and Use background checks. Good hiring practices ought to prolong to dispatchers, load planners, warehouse and dock employees, not simply drivers. Word that warehouse employees don’t have to know drivers’ routes to achieve their vacation spot, which may additional shield a load from potential theft.
- Buy applicable cargo cowl. Companies ought to test that they’ve the correct amount of cargo insurance coverage, particularly when the price of items will increase. Work along with your insurance coverage agent to fill gaps and think about using a Cargo Rider for particular, high-value cargo. Modify your protection as enterprise grows, expires, or your product combine modifications.
Solely a small proportion of cargo thieves are caught and prosecuted. And solely a small proportion of stolen cargo is ever recovered. Many legislation enforcement groups should not have the manpower to handle these kinds of excessive profile crime instances. Taking steps to make cargo much less enticing and tougher to steal can assist cut back cargo theft.
Contact IAT for extra data on cargo theft safety.
ASK AN LCR
Do you’ve a query about danger mitigation? E-mail [email protected] for an opportunity to have your query answered in a future weblog.
 Verisk “Cargo theft developments in the course of the winter holidays and safety finest practices in 2022”, 16 December 2022.
 Enterprise Insurance coverage “Cargo losses escalate as thieves goal automobiles and electronics,” Could 31, 2022.
Was this merchandise useful?
Listed here are different articles you would possibly like.
Enthusiastic about dishonest?
Obtain computerized notifications on this subject.